This won’t be the sexiest podcast, but someday, it might just save you. This episode is a list of hard-learned lessons about the right items you need to have in your umpire equipment bag.
They were learned the hard way – by not having these things and needing them.
First, let’s define “umpire bag” because umpires usually have a bag for gear that they change out of, drag to the dressing room and they also have a secondary bag (for me, it’s a tupperware bin) with a lot of these other items. Both of these bags are extremely important and should be stocked and checked regularly.
Thanks to many of the our Facebook followers for helping us complete this list!
If we’ve missed anything, please let us know in the comments so we can help future umpires make sure they’re well prepared!!
**Items in ALL CAPS are SHOW STOPPERS!! Try umpiring without these.
- Shoe cleaning kit and equipment. (We’re going to have a whole show about shoe and equipment cleaning coming up soon!) But at minimum you should have two dish towels, a shoe brush and a bag to put your shoes in (in case they’re muddy)
- Sunflower Seeds / Gum / Power Bar (check with your location to see if seeds are allowed. They are less and less nowadays)
- Sunglasses/Sunglasses Case/Eyeglasses cleaner
- Pair of Socks
- EXTRA BELT!!
- Plate Brush
- Ballbags (different colors also)
- Bugspray (if keeping in your bag, put it in a ziploc bag in case of leakage)
- Febreeze (ziploc also!)
- Extra medication / Ben Gay / IBUPROFEN (totally different ziploc bag)
- EXTRA SHOE LACES!!
- Pens/Pencil/Lineup Card Protector
- Toiletry bag with baby wipes, deodorant
- Rubbing Mud
- Athletic Tape / Small First Aid Kit
- Small notepad or journal
- Gold Bond (you know who you are)
- Small Sewing Kit
- And finally, and we think this was made in jest – but then again maybe not – pepper spray!
Oh, and here’s how to sew on a button: